The Post-it Man by Tim Ove ((Ove, Tim. “The “Post-it” Man.” Flickr. 22 Dec 2009. Web. 31 Dec 2009.
It is customary to offer your new year’s resolutions — a custom I usually avoid. Why set yourself up for disappointment. But over the past few mornings I’ve been thinking that NYRs might be an interesting way to make a statement — something I’m obviously not very shy about.
So, here are my 2010 New Year’s Resolutions.
- I will accept that I may no longer be a believer — Over the years, I have been gradually, and not without resistance, losing my faith. I am afraid that I may no longer believe in education.
There is no problem with education.Education is the problem.
Our goal is preparing our children for their future, and I am becoming convinced that education — our belief in education — is preventing us from accomplishing that goal.
- I will avoid, at all (most) costs, using the following words:
- education — It gets in the way. Anybody know what I might substitute the word education with? 😉
- student — Implies learning as passive and separate from living. I’ll try to use learner instead.
- technology — What does it mean to you? ..to me? I think it is better to tell the story — what the learner is doing, with what, and to what ends.
- teach — The active and accented verb in our conversations should be “learn” not “teach.”
- teacher — I’m actually not too sure about this one. I may start referring to us a teacher-learners.
- I will try, at all costs, to speak plaining and to clearly paint pictures for what I am striving to convey. If we agree that “it takes a village to teach a child,” then we need to be speaking in villagese, not schoolese. We need to try to avoid the vague terminologies that portray us as experts, and instead, use sentences that more effectively spread our knowledge and experience.
- I will more aggressively and compellingly speak out against standardized testing, and to direct conversations toward alternatives.
I believe that standardized, high-stakes testing has done far more harm to more children then all the social networks on the planet.
- I will try to spend less time sitting at my computer and more time doing something unrelated to “education” and “technology.” Anybody know where I can download the guitar tabs for It is One, by Jackson Browne?
- OK! I will also get my weight down to 190, hug my wife more, be nicer to the dog, and eat less meat.
Happy New Year, My Friends!